If you aren’t aware already, I have quit my job. Yes. I have quit the job that was paying the bills. I simply could not face my workplace anymore. Turin has taken its toll. I’m not the only one. There are quite a few people who have left for one reason or the other. Most are going back to school–MBA. Others just up and quit. I planned my termination though. I now have four months to figure out what I am going to do next. I have a few projects planned. I have a few goals I’ve set. I have a few things I want to accomplish.
The first thing I wanted to do was to attend a writer’s conference at UCLA. I went last weekend. My idea was to check out some options and to jump start myself into the writing life. I attended three seminars and during a break, I sussed out various creative writing programs. I was trying to find something where I would fit. The main thing that I learned at that conference was that I still have a lot to learn about writing.
What was missing for me though, was the online connection. I went to the workshop about getting started as a writer. And one on short stories. I also went to one on writing scenes. At the end of the day, I was still searching for that online, multi-media, multi-disciplinary connection.
This evening, I realized I was in the wrong place on the weekend. I was at a writer’s conference. Not at a conference on new media–or even a blogging conference. Note to self: Find new media conferences–or blogging conferences–or something more 21st Century.
I am discovering that I don’t have a plan for my time off. I think I have been afraid to make a plan. It took me all summer to figure out that it was OK that I didn’t have a plan. I could take the time to make one. I think I’ve told everyone who has asked a different story. I have many plans. Which one will work out? “…these pages must show”.
For the record, here are a few things I have planned for the next four months:
- A makeover for this blog site. Yes. Everybody is getting a makeover now-a-days. Why can’t I make over my site?
- English and computer lessons for a friend who wants to improve himself (always an admirable quality).
- A few online projects–like creating a website for another set of friends and creating a workable site for bush-field.com.
- For my family, I want to finish Grandma’s recipe book. This has been a project I’ve had for quite a few years. But my life has been a bit of a nightmare, so I’ve never finished it. I have a new idea for it and am anxious to get it finished.
- I bought a video camcorder today because we are harvesting the grapes at Bush-Field tomorrow. I want to be able to document the process. I think I’ve jump-started my multimedia requirement. I will be able to add sound and visuals to my blog. How exciting!!!
- Learn more about RSS. Learn more about podcasting. Learn more about being online.
- I have a few writing projects I’ve started–or want to start. They excite me. I think I should probably see if they excite some editor before I start. That would make it more worth my while.
- I also have a series of stories to write for this blog: Toilet Humour, parts II and III. The most interesting thing you’ve ever eaten. Travels of GB jr and more.
Back to my entry on 19 January 2006: “Welcome to 2006. We got lots to do. Let’s get it started.”
I am structuring my time around projects and learning. In September, I had a few things I wanted to do with my time off but I am finding that if I don’t schedul […]